Thursday, May 26, 2005

Something to Ponder

Over here

http://wittingshire.blogspot.com/2005/05/christians-practicing-what-they-preach.html

Jonathan and Amanda Witt cry foul because some of us non-Christians are amazed to find Christians actually practicing Christianity. They point out -- rightly -- that many, many Christians practice Christianity every single day, just exactly the sort of Christianity that Christ preached, there inthat Sermon on the Mount, and if we would pay attention for one minute we might notice that.

I agree.

I've known some of these Christians.

I like these Christians. A lot. I honor them, I respect them, I think highly of them.

Some of them are my students. They're generally among my better students.

Can I add that, in my humble opinion, it would be a really good deal if more Christians should act like these Christians?

And not like this:

http://www.pamspaulding.com/weblog/2005/05/this-sht-shouldnt-happen-here-crosses.html

Or this:

http://www.pandagon.net/archives/2005/05/i_wonder_if_the.html

Or this:

http://dedspace.blogspot.com/2005/05/indiana-judge-tells-parents-they.html

But to pretend that it's no fair for the world to be shocked, shocked I tell you, that Christians aren't acting hateful, when you've got folks like Dobson, and folks like those at the links above, making it their business to show the world how hateful Christians can be --

Well, if Christians want to change the reputation of Christians, get out there and start doing it. I'm willing to start thinking better of the organization. Make Dobson and his buds shut up and sit down. Start feeding the poor and loving your enemies, on at least as large a scale as Pat Robertson is hating them and Tim LeHaye is profiting from them. That would be a start. That would help with me.

1 comment:

zelda1 said...

Some people hide behind religion to do awful things, like incite hate, molest children, get rich, get fame, keep women and children in their place, and even get a woman. Christianity caused the kiling of Native Americans, burning of women and men who were thought to be witches,(and so what if they were) It was through Christianity that slavery and the horrendous acts of cruelty were practiced in this country, Christianity caused the slaughter of thousands and more of Jewish men, women, and children. The crusades, well, that was a bloody masacre in the name of Christ. And then I'm thinking what would the man whose philosophy was peace and love think about what his followers have done and are doing. I really feel sorry for Christians, they are being misled and are so blinded by their hate of the other.