Friday, January 13, 2006

Blogging about Migraines

Yes, it's that time of the year again.

Not that my head ever really stops hurting, mind you -- but the onset of winter weather and the start of the Spring Semester often touch off a bonanza of migraines.

This is due to the Hell of Other People.

(1) Other People like to use that thing called Central Heat. Why, I cannot tell you. I would prefer just to put on more socks and wear several thermal shirts and maybe a nice parka all the time. What would be wrong with that? Some of those gloves without any fingers are also pleasant. Then one can avoid central heat altogether. But no. I came home yesterday and mr. delagar had the heat not only on but turned up to 72 degrees. I mean, what the fuck? I can see no call for such behavior. (The minute, btw, I stepped into the house, my head went WHANG.)

(2) Other People wear perfumes, aftershaves, lotions, things like that. Why, why, why? I can't think why. What's wrong with the nice clean smell of soap? (Pears soap, that's my suggestion, if you're interested.) Then, because many of them are my students, they come into my office wearing nasty sharp perfume or aftershave or lotion stench and ask me questions. As if I could hear a word they were saying with my head going WHANG.

(3) Other People insist on smoking cigarettes. In their own cars, yes, I know, and I'm not arguing anyone's right to smoke whatever anyone wants to smoke, your body, your lungs, your business, but if you're going to smoke in your car, roll the damn window up, will you? I don't want your smoke in my car. I don't. And yes, it does drift back and get into my car. It does. And then? Yes. WHANG goes my my head.

(4) Cooking. In the student center cafeteria. All right, people have to eat. I'm not sure why, because I never eat lunch, but I do understand that y'all other people like to. And this is America. So you have a perfect right to eat at noon if you want to. Fine. Whatever. Make yourselves happy. It's just that smell you make while you're doing it -- frying onions. Frying spices. Frying ANYTHING. And my office is, what, thirty feet away from the kitchen vents? WHANG.

Anyway. This has been the migraine venting session. Excuse me while I go and hurl briefly.

1 comment:

zelda1 said...

I don't have migraines, but I do have asthma. The strong scents from perfumes to cigg. as well as to hot a room can trigger the asthma. I hate not being able to breathe. When someone wearing strong perfume or cologne sits next to me in class, I get up and move. One guy wore it so strong that I finally had to ask the teacher to ask him to tone it down. I then became the Fxxxxxg bitch.